If you have a propane appliance at your home then you must be curious about how much it is costing you in the first place, the calculation is quite simple but depends on various parameters.
Many of the appliances especially older versions running on propane have a propane pilot light which means a small flame which lit all the time, this flame restart the burner and also prevent leaking of gas, so the question is how much does it cost to run a pilot light,
Here we’ll tell you about the cost of using a pilot light.
The flow of propane in pilot lights is different for different appliances since the pilot light is always on, it will cost 15$ approx every month and it can be more depending on the scenario.
On average, a pilot light takes 800 BTUs per hour but this can also vary and 1 gallon consists of 91502 BTUs of propane.
Cost of one gallon of propane varies from place to place and also depends on from where you are taking the supply like if you are taking propane from hovers it will cost about $2-$2.75 per gallon and if you are taking the supply from companies then it will cost about $3.25-$4 per gallon.
To have a rough sketch about the calculation suppose that you take 1 gallon of propane in 2.5 dollars then look below how much it will cost in a month.
If your pilot light takes 800 BTUs per hour then it will take 800 X 24 = 19200 BTUs in 24 hours i.e per day and 800 X 24 X 30 = 576000 BTUs per month.
1 gallon is equal to 91502 BTUs, so 576000 BTUs is equal to 576000/91502= 6.29 gallon
If we consider the cost of one-gallon propane 2.5 dollars, then 6.29 gallons will cost 6.29 X 2.5= 15.725 dollars.
Now you can easily calculate what pilot light is costing according to number of BTUs per hour your pilot light is using and how much you are paying for 1 gallon of propane to your supplier, the cost may vary for the appliance to appliance and place to place, but now you know the basic formula for calculating the cost and it will be very easy for you to calculate the cost.
How To Relight A Pilot Light?
When the pilot light of your furnace goes out, you will not be able to ignite the burner and as a result, the furnace will not produce heat. You can relight the pilot light yourself.
- Go to the knob of the pilot light of the furnace, you will see three labels on it- ON, OFF, PILOT. If you are unable to find the pilot light then have a look at the manual and figure out the position of the pilot light.
- Turn the knob to the OFF position, this will stop the flow of gas.
- Wait for some time and then turn the knob to the PILOT option again and press the reset button, then light a lighter and take it near the pilot light opening, hold the reset button till the pilot light is constantly burning, and then release the button.
- Now, look at the pilot light for some time to see if it is lit properly or not.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Turn Off The Pilot Light Of My Fireplace?
Yes, you can turn off the pilot light of your fireplace, it will even save your money and energy.
To turn off the pilot light follow these steps.
1) Open the front side of your fireplace.
2) Change the mode of the pilot light to off by moving the knob.
3) Also, turn off the gas shut off valve.
How Can I Make My Propane Last Longer?
1) Clean the air filter and intake vent frequently to save your gas.
2) Turn off the heat when you are outside the home.
3) Use automatic ignition technology in grills, because every time you light it manually a small amount of propane will be lost.
4) To avoid leaks keep the propane tank safe.
5) Purchase equipment that is energy efficient.