Camping in the mountains can be fun. The thrilling altitudes could even get encouraging if you set up a tent and rest for the night. However, to make the ambience comfortable, you will require a warmer temperature. That’s only possible if you carry a portable heater along with you while tenting. Without a proper heater, it will get difficult for you to show up for the next day.
Not every heater will do your job. Some may be too small while some may be uncomfortable inside the tent. That’s why you need specific tent heaters which will help you to keep the space warm. Tent heaters are basically space heaters which are suitable for a small space. They are comfortable to carry and will also provide you with the support that you need.
Best Tent Heater Review
1. Lasko Ceramic Portable Space Heater
Quiet Settings: This product comes with three different heat settings. Even with the highest and the lowest heat settings, it covers up the complete room and it does not make any harsh noise at all.
Adjustable Thermostat: The one impressive feature of this ceramic heater is the adjustable thermostat present. There are almost 11 different temperature settings available from which you can easily alter the settings.
Built-in Safety Features: This product comes with all including an overheat switch and a cool-touch exterior. To protect it from the overheating problems, you can take the help of the anti-tip-over switch.
Fully Assembled: Installing the heater is just a matter of minutes because they allow fast and easy carrying of the device. The weight is low and it comes in an assembled state to quickly set up the problem.
The Lasko is a perfect buy for the people who are willing to carry the product from one space to another without any major difficulties.
- Ideal for tabletop or floor use with easy to use top-mounted controls
- Adjustable thermostat
- 1500 watts of comforting warmth with 3 quiet settings; fan only, low and high heat. Heating coverage: 300 Sq. ft
- Fully assembled with carry handle. 8.34" x 6.55" x 11.66" tall
- ETL listed
2. Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy Heater
Fast Heating: This product comes along with a fast-heating mechanism that includes a range from 4000 to 9000 BTU. Because of this, it allows you to quickly heat up the entire tent in just a few minutes.
Low Emission: This product features propane heating. Although it has a minimum level of emission, the product is still great to use for indoor tents. The levels of CO emission are still safe for kids and pets.
High Altitude: One of the most impressive features for using Mr. Heater F232000 is the option of having a high altitude performance. This device can easily work at a height of 7000 ft above sea level.
Safety Features: Like most of the high-performance products, the Mr. Heater F232000 also comes with all the safety features included. It can support decent features like auto-shutoff and low oxygen indicator to use.
If you are looking for a perfect propane based heater for your travel partner, the Mr. Heater F232000 is the best option available.
3. Honeywell HHF360V Surround Fan Forced Heater
Energy Efficient: One of the best benefits of having the Honeywell HHF360V is such that this device comes with 360-degree warmth. This allows you to heat up the entire room even with the least heat settings and it will be warm.
Advanced Safety: Unlike most of the other products, the Honeywell HHF360V has some more features when it comes to safety. It provides you with 2 Overheat shut-off protections. This will prevent the heater from any damages.
Auto-off timer: This feature is unique and it is easy to set up for camping as well. You can start the timer because of low space heating and allow the whole tend to be warm for some time. It is helpful when you have a shortage of electricity.
Programmable Thermostat: TheHHF360V comes with multiple heat settings along with the product. Because of this, you can expect the product to deliver you a comfortable temperature.
The Honeywell HHF360V is a great small heater to use. Since it consumes low watts, it also saves up a lot of electricity while running.
- 360 DEGREE ALL AROUND WARMTH – Use the Honeywell 360 Degree Surround Heater in small to mid sized rooms for additional comfort. This space heater features an adjustable thermostat as well as 2 heat settings and all-around heat output so you’re always cozy.
- SAFETY MATTERS: This small heater offers multiple safety options including a 360-degree tip over switch, 2x overheat protection*, an auto-off timer option and an easy grab, cool touch carry handle.
- INCREASE YOUR COMFORT – Always be comfortable, no matter what season it is. This personal heater has fan forced technology and provides 360-degree, all around warmth. As a small space heater, it’s perfect for a bedroom, office and more.
- SMART SAVINGS: A portable heater is an easy way to add warmth to any space. By turning down your whole house thermostat a few degrees and heating the room you are in, a space heater for indoor use can help you save money while providing soothing warmth.
- HONEYWELL QUALITY: Help improve heating and energy savings in your home, bedroom or office using a Honeywell portable heater. Honeywell offers whole room heaters, tower heaters and oscillating heaters.
4. Mr. Heater MH18B Portable Propane Heater
Swivel regulators: The benefit of having Swivel regulators is that it allows you to get oscillating control. You can adjust the fan speed and also set up a direction for heating the ten spaces available.
Easy to connect: The Mr. Heater MH18B comes with multiple connectivity features. It can easily get you connected with a 20lb propane cylinder. Moreover, you can also get an optional hose to connect with an additional cylinder.
Operating Fan: The power consumption is very low as the fan operates with 4D batteries. You can also get an AC adapter with the product to easily plugin.
Easy to carry: One of the best features for using the Mr. Heater MH18B is that it is light in weight. Moreover, there is a foldable handle present that makes it easier for you to carry the product.
Mr. Heater MH18B is a great product to choose when you are short of electricity and wish for a product that runs with propane. It comes with fast heating technology.
5. Texsport Portable Outdoor Propane Heater
Decent Size: The Texsport comes with a high capacity and fits in with almost all sizes of propane tanks. This will help you to carry a single propane cylinder for your tent and use it long.
Great Body: The allover structure of the Texsport heater is great for everyone. It comes along with a great dimension and is manufactured with stainless steel products. This is why it is highly durable.
Low Wattage: When you run the propane heater at the highest heat settings, it only consumes around 850 Watts. This is why the Texsport heater is highly efficient to use. It is also environmentally friendly in nature.
Safety Valves: This heater from Texsport comes with a simple aluminum reflector and a safety grid to use. It keeps you safe from the warmth of the heater. You can also get safety valves that shut off the heater.
The Texsport Portable Outdoor Propane Heater comes with a fast heating option even while consuming low propane.
6. Andily 1500W Ceramic Small Space Heater
Automatic Shut-Off: The Andily 1500W Ceramic Small Space Heater has properties to quickly get up the room. However, it comes with an automatic shut-off feature that will protect the small space heater from overheating.
Quick Start: Not many products have this feature in hand, but the space heater from Andily is well ahead in this. It comes up with an instant heating mode that takes only 2 seconds to start heating.
Powerful Heat: The one feature that impressed us the most is the option of having a powerful heat with the product. It has a mini size of operation which makes the product easy to carry as well.
The Andily 1500W Ceramic Small Space Heater comes with a simple heating option that allows you to get advanced heating features. It is highly beneficial for your use.
- SMALL HEATER MEASURES: 6.2" X 4.74" x 8.3" . Manual controls. Fully Assembled. Carrying handle for easy transport. Adjustable thermostat for comfortable warmth—ideal for home or office
- THREE MODES HEATER WITH FAN: 1.High Heat (1500-watt), 2. Low Heat(750-watt ), 3. Fan Only. Power indicator light lets you know when it’s plugged in
- CERAMIC HEATER ELEMENTS: Ceramic space heaters are fast to heat, produce abundant heat without open coils, and are long lasting
- SPACE HEATER WITH THERMOSTAT :The thermostat system can according to the thermostat setting let your room remain at a comfortable temperature.This heater can be used in small area (such as warming your feet),meanwhile warms up your surroundings
- FOR SAFETY: 1.Automatic overheat system will shuts the unit off when the parts of the heater overheat. 2.TIP-OVER SWITCH will shut off unite when tipped forward or backward.3. Power indicate light can lets you know at a glance that it’s plugged in. 4.ETL certified
7. Brightown Portable Electric Space Heater
Highly Durable: The Brightown heater from this product comes with a six feet lead cord that allows you to place the heater at a comfortable distance. It has a long-lasting life that is great for regular use.
Fast Heating: With fast heating options, the Brightown heater has a 1500 Watt operation. It is completely run by electricity and has minimal sound production. Of course, this is great to use.
Includes remote: One of the best features for using this space heater is the option to get a remote with it. Because of this feature, the remote access allows you to control the heat as required.
Compact: This heater from Brightown comes with a compact body and size. It is extremely small in dimensions making the heater easy to carry. However, the entire body is highly durable.
The Brightown Portable Electric Space Heater is a great choice to make if you want a device that runs with a small space heating option.
- 2 in 1 heater fan: This ceramic heater provides two heat levels (1500W/750W) and one cool air (fan), you can use it both for winter and summer. Thermostat control of the heater will turn the heater off when it reaches a preset temperature and turn the heater back on when the temperature dips below the thermostat setting. It will cycle on and off. Adjust the setting of thermostat from 0℉ to 158℉ to keep room comfortable
- Multi protection safety system: These ETL listed heaters are made of flame retardant material avoiding any fire hazard; automatic safety shutoff system will shut the heater off when the heater overheat; the tip over protection system will also shut the heater off when the heater was knocked over by accident and it will come back on automatically if it is up righted
- Compact and powerful: 6.2 x 7 x 9.2 inch, 3.2 pounds Portable mini heater with build in carry handle helps to reinforce the potential of rather low electrical bills by using at the place where you need when you don't want to warm the full house with other centralized heaters
- Quiet and fast heating: The noise this ceramic heater makes is lower than 45 decibel, quiet enough for most people to use in a bedroom while sleeping. With PTC ceramic heating tech and high speed fan, this heater put out tons of heat to heat up 200 square feet in seconds
- Durability: The room heater with 6 feet lead cord and 2 prong connection has a long lasting life
8. GiveBest Portable Electric Space Heater
Easy to carry: The GiveBest Portable Electric Space Heater is extremely light in weight. Moreover, this product features a small carrying handle that is easy to use. You can get a six-feet-long cord as well.
Safe Room Heater: This product from GiveBest includes a lot of safety purposes. It allows the heater to be free from any type of fire hazard as well. Because of this, you can easily get tip-over protection.
Highly Durable to use: The GiveBest Portable Electric Space Heater is certified from ETL which makes it long-lasting in nature. Moreover, you can also get a 1-year warranty from the manufacturer.
Easy Control Heater: This product features two heat settings options. You can set the low heat settings option to 750 Watts and then you can set it to the high heat settings with 1500 Watts.
The GiveBest Portable Electric Space Heater is a great choice for people who are looking to run the heater for a short time. It comes with quick and fast heating options as well.
- 2 in 1 heater fan: This ceramic heater provides two heat levels, 1500W or 750W and one cool air fan, you can use it both for winter and summer. Thermostat control of the heater will turn the heater off when it reaches a preset temperature and turn the heater back on when the temperature dips below the thermostat setting. It will cycle on and off. Adjust the setting of thermostat from 0℉ to 158℉ to keep room comfortable
- Multi protection safety system: These heaters are made of flame retardant material avoiding any fire hazard. Automatic safety shutoff system will shut the heater off when the heater overheat. The tip over protection system will also shut the heater off when the heater was knocked over by accident and it will come back on automatically if it is up righted
- Compact and powerful: 8.3 inch x 6.3 inch x 4 inch, 2.2 pounds Portable mini heater with build in carry handle helps to reinforce the potential of rather low electrical bills by using at the place where you need when you don't want to warm the full house with other centralized heaters
- Quiet and fast heating: The noise this ceramic heater makes is lower than 45 decibels, quiet enough for most people to use in a bedroom while sleeping. With PTC ceramic heating tech and high speed fan, this heater put out tons of heat to heat up 200 square feet in seconds
- Upgrade abs material: Upgrade abs material applied, which is more flame resident. The room heater with six feet lead cord and 2 prong connection has a long lasting life
9. Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B Little Buddy 3800-BTU
Indoor-safe product: Even though Mr. Heater F215100 is based on propane, it still serves you with a great response. This product comes along with low emission that allows you to get fast performance.
Flexible heating: The one feature that we like the most about the product is the option of having a flexible heating angle. You can easily adjust the tilt and make it around 45-degrees available.
Easy controls: The Mr. Heater F215100 comes with a fast-heating mechanism that allows you to gain easy controls. This product has multiple heat settings controls along with simple on/off buttons.
Quick Alerts: This heater for tents has smart alerts that automatically send you notifications at a higher altitude. In the case of low oxygen, it shuts-down to prevent overusing of oxygen.
The Mr. Heater F215100 is one such product that performs well in a small space. It is a great product to choose under 100 square feet of space.
10. OPOLAR 1500W Ceramic Space Heater
Three modes: This OPOLAR 1500W comes with impressive features that allow you to control the heater separately. You can get high and low heat settings along with a fan mode to make it easier.
Easy to use: The OPOLAR 1500W comes with a pre-assembled position and gives you a fast setup time. You do not have to invest much time in installation and simply plug & play the device.
Safety Features: Safety features like automatic overheat protection and it has a lower system. Because of this, you would be able to keep the products safe and easy to use for the long run.
Decent body: Even though the OPOLAR 1500W comes with a simple heating mechanism and it is compact, it is always durable. The body parts are made up of great features which make it completely easy for your use.
If you are looking for a budget friendly model, the OPOLAR 1500W is highly impressive to use. This product features an adjustable thermostat to use.
- 🔥【QUICK HEATING FOR INSTANT WARMTH】 - Ceramic space heaters are fast to heat, produce abundant heat without open coils, and are long lasting
- 🔥【THREE MODES HEATER WITH FAN】-1.High Heat (1500-watt), 2. Low Heat (1000-watt ), 3. Fan Only.
- 🔥【ADJUSTABLE THERMOSTAT】 -The heater will kick on and maintain consistent heat according to it’s thermostat setting and the room’s ambient temperature. Select your heating preference and you’ll stay warm and toasty throughout the day and/or night.
- 🔥【QUIETNESS AND EASY TO USE】-With the low noise about 50db when it is working, it will not disturb your sleeping, resting, reading, working. Simply turn the dial to high or low heat, or fan only, and then, using the other dial, adjust the intensity to your comfort. A red power indicator light shows when the device is on.
- 🔥【TIP-OVER & OVER-HEATING PROTECTION】- Automatic overheat system will shuts the unit off when the parts of the heater overheat. TIP-OVER SWITCH will shut off unite when tipped forward or backward.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing Tent Heaters
1. Heat Output: BTUs and Wattage
The first thing that you need to know is the space available inside the tent. Calculate how large the tent is and this will give you an idea about what would be the perfect BTU ratings. You can also calculate the wattage according to this result.
2. Safety Features
Whenever you turn on a heater, it may get extremely hot after a few minutes. So, the safety features are important as well. Look for options like cool-touch, overheat protection and others to prevent any damages.
3. Fuel Source
The next thing that you need to consider is the fuel source. You can choose either between propane and the electrical power source. It completely depends on the resources that you have and you can try to use the product.
4. Size and Weight
The next factor you need to think about is the size and the weight of the product. Ofcourse, if this is too big, you won’t be able to carry the product. The same applies for the weight of the product as well.
5. Noise Level
Generally, the tent heaters are small and they have a minimum noise. However, a large noise can cause disturbance to your sleep. It is important that you choose a product that has lower levels of noise and it is good to try on.
6. The body built
Since most of the heaters are compact, they can be stored easily. However, you must look for the build and the durability of the product. Any decent tent heater might go good for the long run. Try to look for a product that has a decent warranty.
Another important factor may be the cost of the product. It is good to try on a product that has a lower cost if you are willing to use the product for once. However, for the long run, look for features that are important.
Safety Tips for running Tent Heaters
- Try to avoid operating the propane-based tent heaters when you are sleeping. They require combustion and may catch fire accidentally.
- Make sure that you put the propane heater in a heatproof mat. It is mainly because the base becomes extremely hot and may melt a cloth.
- If you are using a propane heater. Do not try to use any other flammable material closer to the heater. It may catch the fire easily.
- If you are turning off the heater, make sure to turn off the tank before anything else. This will also stop the pressure coming out from the tank.
- If you are using an electrical heater, make sure that you keep the liquid items away from it. Spilling on the heater could cause damages.
- Electrical heaters do come with airflow direction to heat up the tent. To keep it safe, you must make sure that the airflow is not blocked.
- Do not use any type of electrical extensions with the heater. Always use a plug directly because the wattage consumption may not match.
Types of Tent Heaters
Generally, there are three major types of tent heaters available. They are propane, electric and the chemical tent heaters. Each of them is easy to carry, but it all depends on the resources you have.
Propane Tent Heaters
The propane tent heaters are one of the most common types. They are also known as outdoor heaters because they use fuel for warming up the tent. No electricity is needed, but it may produce some carbon monoxide.
Electric Tent Heaters
Electric tent heaters are also a common type of heater. They are quite environmentally friendly to us. However, you need to carry an electrical supply to run the heater. This makes the heater to be the second popular choice.
Chemical Tent Heaters
The chemical heaters are not at all popular. Although they use non-toxic chemicals like sodium acetate and water, carrying it safe is a big challenge.
Steps to Install a Tent Heater Properly
If you are using an electrical tent heater, set up the electrical point first. You can now find a stable base where it would be easier to place the heater. Place it at a comfortable position and plug it on.
If you are using a propane tent heater, try to place it near to the window of the tent. Open up the hose to connect it with the propane tank and the fittings would be done.
You can now connect the heater to the ignition type and turn it on. It will start heating up the entire room.
Best Alternatives to Tent Heater
Although tent heating is one of the most popular types of heaters available, you can also look for alternatives.
This type of heater may be a great option for you. However, using liters of alcohol could be highly expensive and also risky.
Terracotta Pot Heater
Using a terracotta pot could be a unique way of heating the tent and keeping it safe. However, the time taken for heating the entire tent is obviously high.
Wood Burning Stove
Trying a wood burning stove could be an easier option for you. It uses combustion and may require proper ventilation as always.
Passive Solar Heating
One of t best options is passive solar heating. It is completely natural and carrying the solar panel is not a big task at all.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Lasko Ceramic Portable Space Heater is the best overall product to choose from according to my views. This product completes all the features with a 1500 watt operation and 300 square feet coverage. Since it has a low price and a great rating from the consumers, it has to be the best choice for me. On the other hand, the Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy Heater out-performs every other product available. It has a capacity of 4000-9000 BTU units which is great to use. It has a high performance at 7000 feet which makes this product the best buy according to the performance.
If you have a compact budget in hand, the Honeywell HHF360V Surround Fan Forced Heater is the best product to choose from. This product comes with a 360-degree surround heating option. Because of this, you would be able to keep the tent warm for a very long time.
Having a tent heater means you are not feeling uncomfortable at higher altitudes. Even if you are in a tent, staying at a higher altitude will never be a problem. They are usually light in weight and thus, carrying the product in your bag will not be a big challenge at all. However, there are thousands of propane tent heaters already available in the market today, and choosing the best one is a tough job in hand. It is important that you go through the review section and the buying guide to find the best match. However, if you are in a hurry, you can also take the help of the editor’s choice section mentioned above. It will help you to get the right product choice in a jiffy.